Those of you following me on instagram might have seen the start of this adventure.
This recipe is a great alternative to all the turkey we will be enjoying tomorrow! And super easy! You put the whole chicken in the crockpot, sprinkle on some seasoning and walk away (or sleep) for 8 hours.
And no, you do not need to add any water. People ask me that all the time on crockpot recipes, but meat actually has a lot of water in it. If you don’t take the lid off the moisture will stay in the crockpot. The drippings from this recipe actual allow you to make fresh stock afterwards (you can read the note below).
- 1 whole chicken
- Seasoning of choice (I used cayenne pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper and paprika... you can also rotisserie chicken seasoning at the grocery store)
- Reach in the chicken and pull out any thing fun that is inside (aka the bag of gibblets).
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place the whole chicken in the crockpot, breast side up.
- Season the chicken (just sprinkle a nice even layer over the top)
- Close the lid and cook on low for 8 hours. The chicken will be falling apart and ready for dinner when you get home. If you are nervous about it being done you can check the temperature of the thigh...it should read 180 degrees.
Proof that it was in the crockpot. See all those drippings!