The last time I tried to make caramel corn it set the smoke alarm off in our building, so I have been really hesitant to try it again. I found this recipe for Salted Caramel Popcorn over at Cookies and Cups and it was delicious! The only thing I changed was using less butter.
Was it crispy & crunchy? Yes
Would I make it again? Yes
Was it fun to make? Yes!
- ½ cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- ½ cup salted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp of salt (kosher or sea salt best)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line a large cookie sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium pot with a lid, pour in enough vegetable/canola oil to coat the bottom of the pot. Add in your kernels and shake to distribute evenly. With the lid on, heat over medium heat until the kernels start to pop. Remove from heat when they are done popping. (you don't have to shake the pot if you keep the heat on medium)
- In a small saucepan melt the butter, sugar, salt and corn syrup over medium heat. Allow to boil for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Pour caramel mixture over the popcorn and stir to coat.
- Spread the popcorn onto your lined cookie sheet. You can sprinkle a little extra kosher salt over the top at this point or even nuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Allow popcorn to cool. (no worries, it cools very quickly!)
Slightly adapted from Cookies and Cups Salted Caramel Popcorn