We have been eating tacos all week! We never seem to get tired of them.
I decided to try a new carnita recipe. Actually I created this recipe based off the previous version. This version is a lot less hands on. In the morning you throw everything into the crockpot and walk away until dinner time.
I like my meat crisp, so I took the meat out of the crock pot later that evening and tossed it into my cast iron skillet. The remaining fat crisped up the pork really nicely.
I love how cooking meat in the crockpot makes it fall apart. Now I just need some carnita pizza (so good!!).
- 3 pounds pork shoulder or pork butt, cut into smaller chunks
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- 1 tsp salt (kosher or regular, you can add more later if needed)
- 1 cup orange juice*
- ¼ cup lime juice*
- ¾ cup water (you can add this as needed)*
- Trim off any major pieces of fat and cut the pork into more manageable sized pieces. Place all the ingredients into the crockpot and set to low for 8 hours. After 8 hours the meat should fall apart when you try to pick it up, if not you can leave it in the crockpot for a little longer.
- Optional: Place the cooked meat in a cast iron skillet and brown until crispy. The remaining fat will provide enough oil to crisp the meat.