I visited my parents last week and mom made italian beef. It was so good!! And super easy to make too.
You put pepperoncini, a brown gravy packet, an italian seasoning packet and a large roast in a crockpot and cook 6-8 hours on low. The beef is ready when it begins to fall apart and shred easily.
We learned to pull the pepperocini stems off ahead of time, that way you don’t have to worry about pulling them off while you are eating your sandwich. I imagine you could buy the presliced ones.
- 1 large chuck or rump roast (about 5 lbs or so)
- 1 jar of pepperocini (more or less to taste)
- 1 packet of brown gravy mix
- 1 packet of italian seasoning
- Trim the excess fat off of the roast.
- Place roast in crockpot along with gravy mix, italian seasoning and half a jar of pepporocini (including some of the juice).
- Cook on low 6-8 hours, or until meat begins to fall apart and shred easily.
- Serve on buns or with potatoes!
Recipes for this are all over the web, so I don’t have a source. I’ve seen it without the brown gravy mix, and with onion and pepper added to the crockpot. I think this is a recipe that you could easily experiment with and try out new variations.
See where I am linking up to here!