I got an old sifter from my grandmother over Christmas break and I thought it would make a cute thrifty vase. Eventually I might use it as an actually sifter, but for now it is gracing our table.
Coffee Filter Flowers Step-by-Step Tutorial
2. Place three filters on top of each other.
3. Fold the three filters in half…
…and then in half again.
4. Cut scallops along the open edge. Repeat with the next three filters, except cut the scallops further down…to make 3 smaller circles.
5. Unfold and place the three small circles on top of the three large circles.
6. Fold in half and staple on fold.
7. Grab the inner circle and start fluffing the layer…adding each additional ring until your flower is formed.
8. Your done! Attach flower by taping or stapling flower base to to a stem, wreath, etc.
To dye the filters mix a drop of acrylic paint with water. Dip filters in water mixture and let dry. I also dyed some of the filters with coffee or a mixture of paint and coffee (gives it a more natural color).
Here is a great website for other ideas and variations.